Computer-assisted translation (CAT) helps a translator by simplifying the translation task. With the use of CAT tools, a translator can increase his/her efficiency while maintaining the quality of translation.
There are many CAT tools available in the translation market today. Some of them are paid while others are free. If you can’t afford the paid CAT tool, here is the list of some popular free CAT tools.
Smartcat is an all-in-one Free CAT tool that connects linguists, companies, and agencies. Freelancers can use it at no cost for their own projects. Smartcat’s CAT editor combines a unique mix of features designed to help translators boost their productivity and ensure a high quality of services. Smartcat makes work easier and faster for linguists by offering them powerful, intuitive and free-to-use technology.
• Vendor Hiring: Find the best fit from among 250,000 professionals
• Translation automation (CAT): A CAT tool that empowers
• Payment Automation: Pay all suppliers in one click
• Client Portal: Give your customers a transparent translation experience with a branded portal
• Integrations: Smartcat connectors to CMS and code repositories
OmegaT is a free and open-source multiplatform CAT tool with features like fuzzy matching, translation memory, keyword search, glossaries, and translation leveraging into updated projects.
- Fuzzy matching
- Automatic propagation of translations
- Unlimited number of translation memories (TMX format)
- Unlimited number of glossaries (CSV and TBX format)
- Looking up terms in the project, in reference translation memories, in glossaries, and in reference documents
- Projects with an unlimited number of folders and files, in all accepted formats
- Team projects with an unlimited number of translators
- Right to left and bidirectional writing management
- Tag protection and validation
- Morphological recognition
- More than 50 supported file formats (with the Okapi plugin), including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Open Document Format (LibreOffice, OpenOffice), HTML and XHTML, XLIFF, TTX and SDLXLIFF (Trados), TXML (Wordfast Pro), IDML (InDesign) and PDF (plain text and through Iceni Infix export)
- Spell checking (Hunspell)
- Linguistic checking (LanguageTool)
- Dictionaries (mono and multilingual) in StarDict and Lingvo DSL formats
- Machine translation (Google Translate, Microsoft Translator, Apertium, Yandex, MyMemory, DeepL, IBM Watson Language Translator)
- Public API for plugins: Additional file formats (Okapi), Local machine translation (Apertium)
- Auto-completion from glossary entries, abbreviation list, history completion and history prediction
- Graphic aligner for all supported formats
- External search on the Internet
3. Autshumato ITE
Autshumato Integrated Translation Environment is another free CAT tool. It provides a single translation environment that contains translation memory, machine translation, and a glossary to facilitate the translation process. The Autshumato ITE is a derived work of the popular OmegaT CAT tool; customized for the South-African environment.
- Computer-Aided Translation (CAT)
- Machine translation
- Translation memory
- Spelling checkers
- Derived work of OmegaT.
4. Anaphraseus is a CAT (Computer-Aided Translation) tool, OpenOffice.org 2-3 macro set similar to famous Wordfast. It works with the Wordfast Translation Memory format (*.TXT), and supports text segmentation.
- Term Recognition, fuzzy (unexact) search.
- TMX Export/Import (OmegaT translation memory format).
- Plain text and Unicode UTF-16 TM, Glossary.
- User Glossary.
- Ready for localization (already have 19 languages interface).
6. TX CAT Tool
TX CAT Tool is a free and open-source cross-platform Computer Assisted Translation tool with translation memory, full and partial matches, machine translation, glossaries, search engine, support for various document types, and translation projects.
If you know about any other free CAT tools, please feel free to mention it in the comment section.